Call for Abstracts ICOET 2019
“Achieving Balance in Ecology and Transportation”
Issued January 22, 2019. The abstract submission period closes on March 29, 2019.
ICOET invites professionals and students to submit abstracts for presentations at its 2019 conference, to be held September 22 – 26, 2019 in Sacramento California, USA. Submit abstracts for “Presentations”: 1) Podium (oral) presentations, 2) Lightning presentations, 3) Multi-media displays/presentations, and 4) Technical Posters. You can also submit proposals for “Events”: 1) Short Workshops, 2) Panels, 3) Sessions, and 4) Symposia that cover one of the topics below and that include invited/confirmed speakers. “Transportation” refers to land-surface transportation (rail, road, trail), but creative investigations in marine and aviation transportation and ecology will be considered.
The ICOET program will include numerous presentations covering a broad range of topics. When submitting your abstract for a Podium, Lightning Talk, Multi-media or Poster presentation, choose one of the following general topics that best fits your material. Organizers proposing to organize a Session, Workshop, Panel, or Symposium should also choose the Session Proposal topic from the following list when submitting your abstract.
- Partnerships and Collaborative Approaches for Improving Transportation Ecology
- Sustainability and Resilience in Transportation Systems
- Planning for Transportation Ecology
- Policy and Regulatory Developments in Transportation
- Climate Change, Sea Level Rise, and Storm-Related Adaptation
- Mitigation for Transportation Projects
- Vegetation Management within Transportation Corridors
- Storm-water and Water Quality Management in Transportation
- Aquatic Species/Ecosystem and Wetland Interactions with Transportation
- Terrestrial Wildlife and Ecosystem Interactions with Transportation
- Transportation Ecology in Construction, Operations and Maintenance
- Emerging Issues and New Directions in Transportation Ecology
ICOET is an International, Interagency, Inter-disciplinary Conference for All Transportation Modes
ICOET is a forum for scientists and practitioners in transportation ecology and related disciplines who are engaged in governmental, academic, nonprofit, and private sectors. Presentations at ICOET focus on the interface between transportation systems and ecosystems in terrestrial and aquatic environments. Abstracts are invited from professionals and students working in:
- Climate change (across all areas below)
- Terrestrial ecology/ecosystems
- Vertebrate and invertebrate biology
- Engineering design and construction
- Transportation operations and maintenance
- Transportation policy and planning
- Mitigation and conservation effectiveness
- Vegetation and habitat structure and management
- Urban and regional planning
- Wildlife connectivity, movement, migrations
- Sustainability, resilience, integration of systems
- Social sciences – Human dimensions of transportation ecology
Authors may submit abstracts for Podium/Oral presentations, Multi-media presentations, Poster presentations, and proposals for a complete Session, Workshop, Panel, or Symposium. Choose the preferred type of presentation when submitting your abstract online. The ICOET Program Committee decides on the abstract’s accepted presentation type, with consideration given to the author’s preference and to recommendations from abstract reviewers.
Abstracts, including event proposals, must not exceed 3000 characters (~500 words). All abstracts must be clearly written, in English, with your ideas well communicated. Your abstract should describe a current or recent project or investigation, planning activity, or emerging issue addressing both transportation and ecological concerns. The described presentation should offer applicable research findings or best practices that may advance the field of transportation ecology. Your presentation also should be supportive of the conference theme.
Abstract Review and Selection
All abstract submissions are evaluated and scored on several criteria by multiple peer reviewers. The ICOET Program Committee considers score rankings, reviewer comments, and the diversity of topics and presenters in its final selection of presentations to be included in the conference.
For more details on topic areas, presentation types, abstract preparation, and abstract review, download and review the ICOET Requirements and Guidelines for Abstract Submission on this ICOET website: https://roadecology.ucdavis.edu/icoet/node/10.
Publication of Presentations
ICOET will electronically publish the abstracts of all presentations from the conference in its online proceedings. A final version of your original abstract—revised and expanded as required—and a signed ICOET copyright verification form must be submitted following the notification of selection and prior to conference. Submission of your abstract and related presentation documents grants ICOET nonexclusive permission to publish.
Authors selected for Podium presentation, whose topics describe scientific research or similar work, also are invited to submit a full paper for the proceedings. Authors retain all rights to their papers for future publication in scientific and technical journals. Poster presenters also are encouraged to submit a PDF image of the poster for the proceedings. PowerPoint slides from Podium and Lightning Talk presentations also will be posted in the proceedings if requested by the author.
Notification and Registration
Please note the following dates and additional requirements for abstract authors:
- March 29, 2019 – Deadline for abstract submissions.
- May 31, 2019 – Primary authors and organizers notified of acceptance for presentations/events.
- June 28, 2019 – Deadline to submit revised, final abstracts and copyright forms.
- July 12, 2019 – All presenters must register and pay the conference fee by this date.
- August 30, 2019 – Deadline to submit papers and poster PDFs for conference proceedings.
- September 22, 2019 – Conference begins.